Saturday, July 21, 2007

Met My First Crane

CranesI met some critters in a rest area in Florida yesterday (near Polk City, if you must know). I didn't immediately know what they were. I thought about herons at first, but they're not that big. I thought of cranes, but I didn't think they were that big, either. Well, I showed Victoria the pic today, and after an hour or so of research, she was able to determine that they were sandhill cranes.

Anyway, I thought this was a pretty cool encounter. Figured I would share the pic.

1 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, Blogger Monado said...

Wonderful! I saw flocks of Sandhill Cranes on Manitoulin Island (Lake Huron/Georgian Bay) a couple of years ago, but they were always in fields at a distance or flying at a distance. They looked to me a little bit like animated dustmops. Or perhaps I should say they looked like big herons but with a feathery tail. It makes them look more ostrich-y. Cranes are just bony. Which is, I suppose, why they call those tall, skinny lifting devices "cranes."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home