Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sturbridge Truck Isle

Day two of my delivery ordeal. I'm in Sturbridge, Massachusetts. There used to be a truck stop here called Sturbridge Truck Isle. I used to love this place. It had a great restaurant with excellent food. A hotel. Beautiful scenery. A pond with a walking path. Then the Pilot truck stop chain bought the place and turned it into just another glorified convenience store with a large parking lot. No more restaurant. Hell, they may have drained the pond (I didn't notice on the way in). And now that they've expanded the parking, there's so much traffic here that you take your life into your own hands just crossing the lot. My hope of taking a nice walk and maybe eating supper last night by the pond evaporated as soon as I got here and saw how overrun it was.

Here's to Pilot for destroying one of the few places truck drivers could feel not only less like just another potential customer, but more like a human being. This was one of the few place we could leave our trucks and let a fresh cleansing breeze waft across our souls.

Right now I'm kind of hungry. Think I might go in and buy an over-priced sandwich. After all, that's all the place is really here for, isn't it?

1 Comments:

At 2:26 AM, Blogger Wally Hersee said...

We all feel the same here in Sturbridge. Pilot did an enormous disservice to all of us by shutting down the Sturbridge Isle and its resturants.

Sorry you had a lousy Sturbridge stay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home