Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Morning

I know I should be leaping about shouting “Merry Christmas!” and “Happy Yule!”, but I don’t think that’s likely to happen. Not because I’m not in the mood or anything, but because it just ain’t my style. I’m in my room, keeping a low profile while Victoria’s kids open their presents. Well, and because I’m waiting on Mama. I don’t want her to feel left out. She’s still in the bedroom. I thought she was getting ready, but I just checked on her and she’s sitting on the side of the bed reading a book. She and I both want to give Victoria and her kids some room. Christmas is about family, and they should all have some quality time free of the inevitable strains of having new people in their midst. Next year Mama and I won’t be new quantities and things will be different. But right now we’re both reluctant to insert ourselves into their lives.

Well, Victoria just fetched Mama, so she’s up and about. I should join the fray, I guess. I’m happy to be here and to have Victoria in my life. I’m happy to have a new home and be surrounded by such wonderful, eclectic people. However it may sound, I’m not being standoff-ish today. More than anything, I’m just feeling reflective. Next year everything changes. Right now I just feel like I’m winding up this year, and waking up from a long, strange dream. I’m still trying to get used to being among the living again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home