Saturday, November 03, 2007

Chaney Reunion

I went to the Chaney reunion today. Much to my surprise, I had a great time. You know how these things are. They can go either way. But I was immediately comfortable. How can you not be when you know nearly everyone? There were people I didn't know, of course, but I got to know some of them. And I'm hoping to get to know the others through the years. Hopefully this isn't the last time we'll do this.

This reunion reminded me a lot of the Blackwell reunions that I went to as a kid. The Lovelace reunions have been kind of strained, like most of the people there would rather be somewhere else. But you had a feeling at the Chaney reunion that everyone who was there wanted to be. Sure, there were some who sort of showed up, ate, and then left. But you knew they were there. People talked. Man, did they ever.

I had intended to sit down and write a play by play account of everything that happened at the reunion. But I don't feel up to it. Maybe tomorrow. Suffice it to say that while I had been dreading this all week, when it actually got here and I was actually there, I had a good time. I'm glad I went. And I'm glad I stayed (I had thought about flying back to St. Pete as soon as possible, but stuck around due to family pressure).

Tonight I feel very much like a Chaney. And they're a damned fine bunch of people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home